.

Monday, May 7, 2012

DIY Denim Maxi: Pattern Review of Burda 7283 (modified)





Happy Monday!! 

I had the most amazing weekend and I want to share it with you but I can't just yet, LOL I will soon, promise. For today I want to review Burda 7283 which I used to make this denim maxi skirt. I had been looking for one for a while and then forgot about it until I wanted to wear one on saturday and realized I didn't own one so I pulled out this pattern because I knew what I wanted my skirt to look like and this pattern had the right style it just needed to be modified a bit. I LOVE my skirt!


Pattern Description Burda 7283Variant A knee-length, with snap fasteners. 

Pattern Sizing: I cut the 8 but it was still pretty big on me so I had to take it in a bit.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Kind of, lol


Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions on Burda patterns are pretty clear, they use good illustrations for newbies to understand and the instructions are clear.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the look of the skirt but I knew I wanted that style in a maxi so I added length.

Fabric Used: Denim

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I added length to make it a maxi and instead of using the snaps for the front as the pattern indicates for this view I chose the make the snaps non functioning and instead using an invisible zip in the CB so I didn't have to worry about gaping between the snaps when I sat down.

Would you sew it again? I don't know, there are so many other things I want to make but I do recommend it!

What I Wore

 DIY Denim Maxi, Neon Orange Tank @ Gap (similar here), Gifted Coach Bag Willis Collection from my oldest daughter ;-) Thank you baby girl!


xoxo
mimi g.

72 comments:

  1. That skirt is the business! Did you distress the denim yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi!!! darn it you...their you go SHOWING OFF AGAIN, LOL...LQQKing good babe...I L*VE the denim!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really gorgeous, and you styled so fashionably, yet simple. How do you make it look so easy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the bleached denim and the fit is on point ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a striking skirt. I love the button down front. I echo Sewtellme's question - did you distress that denim?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hooked this up! I wanted to tell you that I bought a GROUPON offer last week to take a beginner basic sewing class at The Sewing Studio in New York, I am uber excited and can't wait to go so I can make my first maxi skirt from your tutorial..woot-woot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I have to go pick up this skirt pattern. Love the bleached denim look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love the skirt. The fabric is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have that orange tank from Gap--now I need that skirt!! ;) I would get on making it, but I still haven't found the time to make the maxi skirt--one thing at a time, getting ahead of myself! You're gorgeous as always, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! I got my mom to make me a maxi over the weekend. I absolutely love it. I will be making myself one in a lot of different colors and prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting your mama to work SMH, LOL thats awesome hun! xoxo

      Delete
  11. Fabulous!!!!! Zipper in the center back and non-functioning buttons - see that's a great tip for a newbie sewer like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too Cute!! I'm also curious about the distressing. But I also want to know if there is a split under the faux closures. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is ;-) just in case I wanna show a little leg, LOL

      Delete
  13. Ok...so up until now, I've basically only been stalking you. I check your site everyday for inspiration. THIS skirt is HOT, so I HAD to comment. First of all, you are the cutest, second of all THANKS for inspiring all of your readers! Like someone else said...this skirt is the "business"! I'm totally in love...once I unpack my machine, I have to try this one! Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! and so glad you came out of stalking mode to comment, LOL
      xoxo

      Delete
  14. Woman I don't want to talk to you right now that skirt is so fabulous!!! I'm copying...no doubt about it. Take it as the absolute sincerest form of flattery. GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woman I don't want to talk to you right now that skirt is so fabulous!!! I'm copying...no doubt about it. Take it as the absolute sincerest form of flattery. GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The skirt looks great....I really love the button details it gives the skirt a more unique quality.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I freakin love that skirt! Are you selling this one?
    Today is my birthday! (hint, hint) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. THIS SKIRT THO.. OMG! it is to die for... I adore it! You styled it perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful skirt

    gaby-acentralamericangirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it,love it and yes love it some more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it,love it and yes love it some more. : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful skirt! I LOVE how your paired it with the orange tank and your new purse(love that as well).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great outfit once again, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your skirt too! It absolutely beautiful! That's a great unique fabric too! Did you purchase it like that or did you dye it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your skirt too! What a fabulous and unique fabric! Did you purchase it like that or did you dye it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yeah...so...this is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I gotta have this skirt... LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much mimi. .I truly look forward to your new posts...they make my day.

    This skirt IS the business...no doubt about it...it's ubber hot!

    Where is the "like" button when you need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very cute look, I love this skirt!!!


    Carsedra of:

    http://www.embracingtherealme.com/

    http://sweets4yourtooth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. you mastered the maxi dress chica!!!Love&Peace*
    http://mbodiment.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Mimi,

    Very beautiful dress, excellent sewing skills and beautiful denim fabric.
    Keep up your good work and thank you for sharing this.

    Greeting from Europe.
    Have a nice day, Femke

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are one fly sister, I'm just sayin! You better work!

    ReplyDelete
  33. When I grow up as a seamstress, I promise I am going to be just like you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow love this skirt! You are so gorge & talented ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the skirt!! Where is the invisible zipper? Not sure what CB stands for...lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.